Recipe of Dahi Ragda ChaatAugust 28, 2017
Ragda has earned its share of fame by making itself useful in the preparation of chaats like Ragda Patties. Here is another interesting snack using yummy, tongue-tickling Ragda made of cooked safed vatana, tomatoes and spices.
In the Dahi Ragda Chaat, the spicy Ragda is served with a shot of curds and a drizzling of chutneys. A garnish of sev and coriander adds more josh to this exciting mix of ingredients, presenting you with a really irresistible choice!
Preparation Time: 15 mins
Cooking Time: 24 mins
Total Time: 39 mins
Makes 3 servings
3/4 cup whisked curds (dahi)
1 1/2 tbsp green chutney
6 tsp sweet chutney
1/4 tsp chilli powder for sprinkling
1/4 tsp cumin seeds (jeera) powder for sprinkling
3 tbsp sev
1 1/2 tbsp finely chopped coriander (dhania)
For The Ragda
2 cups soaked safed vatana (dried white peas)
salt to taste
1 1/2 tbsp oil
1 tsp mustard seeds ( rai / sarson)
1/4 tsp asafoetida (hing)
1/4 cup finely chopped onions
1/4 cup finely chopped tomatoes
1 tsp chilli powder
1/2 tsp coriander (dhania) powder
1/4 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
2 tbsp finely chopped coriander (dhania)
1 tsp lemon juice
For the ragda
1) Combine the safed vatana, little salt and enough water in a pressure cooker, mix well and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
2) Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid. Drain and keep aside.
3) Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan and add the mustard seeds and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
4) Add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
5) Add the tomatoes, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
6) Add the chilli powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, salt and ½ cup of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
7) Add the cooked safed vatana, coriander and lemon juice, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally. Keep aside.
How to proceed
1) Divide the ragda into 3 equal portions.
2) Put a portion of the ragda in a serving bowl.
3) Pour ¼ cup of whisked curds, ½ tbsp of green chutney and 2 tsp of sweet chutney, little chilli powder and cumin seeds powder for sprinkling evenly over it.
4) Finally sprinkle 1 tbsp of sev and ½ tbsp of coriander evenly over it.
5) Repeat steps 2 to 4 to make 2 more servings.
6) Serve immediately.
VIA : tarladalal