Recipe of Rava VadaAugust 23, 2017
The Rava Vada is a very popular South Indian snack, which has a unique taste and fabulous texture. Moreover, it is very quick and easy because you do not have to prepare a batter. So, you can make this without any fuss when a sudden guest arrives.
The semolina-curd dough gives the Rava Vada a wonderful crispness while readily-available but thoughtfully combined ingredients like ginger, green chillies, herbs and coconut give it a lingering flavour and super aroma.
You can fry 4-5 vadas at a time. Drain and serve them hot with coconut chutney.
Preparation Time: 15 mins
Cooking Time: 25 mins
Total Time: 40 mins
Makes 20 vadas (20 vada )
1 1/2 cups semolina (rava / sooji)
1 cup curds (dahi)
1/2 cup finely chopped onions
2 tbsp grated coconut
2 tbsp finely chopped coriander (dhania)
1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
1 1/2 tsp finely chopped green chillies
1 tsp finely chopped ginger (adrak)
1 tbsp finely chopped curry leaves (kadi patta)
salt to taste
1/4 tsp baking soda
oil for deep-frying
1) Combine the semolina and curds in a deep bowl and mix well with your hands.
2) Add all the remaining ingredients and mix very well with your hands.
3) Cover with a lid and keep aside for 15 minutes.
4) Add the baking soda and mix very well.
5) Wet your hand. Place a portion of the mixture on your palm and flatten it slightly.
6) Make a hole in the centre of the vada with your index finger.
7) Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan, upturn your hand and drop the vada in oil.
8) Deep-fry the vada on a medium flame till they turn golden brown in colour from both the sides. Drain on an absorbent paper. You can deep-fry 4 to 5 vadas at a time.
9) Serve immediately with coconut chutney.
Nutrient values per vada
Energy : 100 cal
Protein : 1.6 g
Carbohydrates : 8.9 g
Fiber : 0.2 g
Fat : 6.2 g
Cholesterol : 1.6 mg
Vitamin A : 81.8 mcg
Vitamin B1 : 0 mg
Vitamin B2 : 0 mg
Vitamin B3 : 0.2 mg
Vitamin C : 0.9 mg
Folic Acid : 0.9 mcg
Calcium : 24.9 mg
Iron : 0.2 mg
Magnesium : 0 mg
Phosphorus : 0 mg
Sodium : 4.4 mg
Potassium : 22.7 mg
Zinc : 0 mg
VIA : tarladalal