Recipe of Shahi PaneerJune 17, 2017
The very word shahi connotes richness – and you will not be disappointed because that is just what this recipe is! Loaded with cashew nuts, poppy seeds, ghee and cream, the shahi gravy has a very luscious mouth-feel that is complemented beautifully by its intense flavour, contributed by ingredients like tomato pulp and spice powders.
Sautéed paneer is just the right match for this rich and luscious gravy, as the succulence of the paneer enriches the gravy further. Indeed, the Shahi Paneer is sure to pamper your palate.
It is essential to serve this dish immediately after preparation as the sautéed paneer gets chewy after a while. However, if you are serving it later, then sauté the paneer just in time, add it to the gravy and serve immediately.
Preparation Time: 15 mins
Cooking Time: 14 mins
Total Time: 29 mins
Makes 3 servings
For The Sautéed Paneer
1 cup paneer (cottage cheese) cubes
1/2 tsp chilli powder
1/4 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
salt to taste
1 tbsp oil
For The Shahi Gravy
1 tbsp poppy seeds (khus-khus)
1 tbsp chopped cashewnuts (kaju)
2 tbsp milk
1/2 tsp ginger patse
1/2 tsp garlic (lehsun) paste
1 1/2 tbsp ghee
1/2 cup grated onions
2 sticks cinnamon (dalchini)
2 bayleaves (tejpatta)
2 cloves (laung / lavang)
1 1/2 tsp chilli powder
1 cup fresh tomato pulp
1/2 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp cumin seeds (jeera) powder
1/2 tsp coriander (dhania) powder
salt to taste
1 tbsp fresh cream
1/2 cup boiled green peas
For The Garnish
1 tbsp finely chopped coriander (dhania)
For the sautéed paneer
1) Combine the paneer, chilli powder, turmeric powder and salt in a deep bowl and toss well.
2) Heat the oil in a broad non-stick pan, add the paneer mixture and sauté on a medium flame for 3 minutes. Keep aside.
For the shahi gravy
1) Combine the poppy seeds, cashewnuts and milk in a bowl, mix well and keep aside to soak for 30 minutes.
2) Add the ginger and garlic paste and blend in a mixer to a smooth paste. Keep aside.
3) Heat the ghee in a deep non-stick pan, add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for 3 minutes.
4) Add the cinnamon, bayleaves and cloves and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
5) Add the chilli powder and ¼ cup of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute.
6) Add the tomato pulp, gram masala, cumin seeds powder, coriander powder and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
7) Add the prepared paste and ¼ cup of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
How to proceed
1) Add the green peas, sautéed paneer and fresh cream in the prepared shahi gravy, mix gently and cook on medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
2) Serve immediately garnished with coriander.
VIA : tarladalal